Pages

Friday, 23 October 2020

Dilution Painting || Art


Subject matter

Form

Composition

Content

What does my painting depict?


The subject matter of my painting is Robin Buckley from Stranger Things 3.

How did I create the different tones?


I used diluted white acrylic paint to make a  thin wash.  I brushed this on the painting paper with the black gesso. This created a grey tone. To make lighter, grey tones, I added second and third layers of wash. 

How did you compose your subject matter? 


Robin is centered on the page.

Is your subject matter symbolic or does it express an idea? 


My subject matter isn't symbolic, though, it does represent the series Stranger Things.


How did you paint the highlights? 



Is the negative space important in your painting? 





I painted the highlights by gradually adding white and, when I get to it, add pure white without any dilution to any place that needs it.

Not really, but perhaps only to make Robin herself stand out.



1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Summer,
    You have worked very hard on this dilution painting. I do think that your different use washes in the negative space have made the portrait better. The dark background on the right contrast with the lighter hair and creates more space or depth. The lighter wash in the left background is closer in tone to the hair. This makes the lighter left side of the face more prominent. Painting the background helps make the head/portrait more volumetric. Good mahi!

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Something helpful - add more info or ask me a question.
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.