Pages

Monday, 17 June 2019

Structure of the New Zealand Government || Social Studies

In Social Studies, we have been looking at the structure of the New Zealand Government.

Prime Minister: The Prime Minister is usually the leader of the party with the most seats in Parliament, so he or she has to be supported by the majority of MPs.
Cabinet Minister: Cabinet Ministers have special responsibilities for running government departments, such as Treasury, the Ministry of Education or the Ministry of Youth Development. The Prime Minister is the Head of Cabinet.
Head of State: The current Head of State is our Queen but she's also the Queen of the UK and other Commonwealth countries.
Governor-General: The Queen appoints a governor general as her representative. The Governor-General summons Parliament, Appoints Cabinet Minister, and approves any bill passed by Parliament before it becomes law. He or she follows the advice of the Government and does not get involved in party politics.

Something I've found interesting is that there's a Governor General; I didn't know that there was one at first.
What I want to know more about is why a Cabinet Minister is called a Cabinet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Something helpful - add more info or ask me a question.
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.