Pages

Thursday, 19 September 2019

Critiques of Slinkachu || Work at Home (ART)

For our working-at-home task for Art we have to find a photographer and select 1-2 works from them and write a critique on those works. I'm doing Slinkachu and since it was one of the ones we have studied, I will do two critiques.

Photo #1
shelter 1a - blog.jpg
Source: Slinkachu

This photograph is called 'Shelter' and was taken by the famous photographer Slinkachu. Slinkachu is a somewhat well-known London based photographer who plays around with size and scale in his works. He begun focusing on his "Little People Project" in 2006, where he remodeled and pained miniature train set characters which are placed, photographed and then left on the street. Shelter is one of the three outdoor installations created for the Museum of Fine Arts in Belgium in 2017. What I really like about this work is that he managed to get the snail shells in such a position that they wouldn't fall so quickly. What I don't like so much about it is that the background is a little bland, though it is a pretty creative setup overall.

If I were to use this work to influence mine, I would probably consider doing this in a field of short grass or a garden pot where it has an edge, like in the photo shown above. I would attempt to try do something similar to the positioning of the characters in the image and raise the contrast in the photo slightly.

Photo #2
The Jetty 1b  - blog.jpg
Source: Slinkachu

This photograph is called 'The Jetty' and was again taken by the famous photographer Slinkachu. As mentioned, he is a fairly well-known London-based photographer who plays around with size and scale in his works. The Jetty is an installation from his 2015 solo show "Miniaturesque" at Andipa Gallery in London. The show explored the juxtaposition of nature and the city. What I like about this is how creative this is because of the miniatures and the popsicle itself. I personally don't like how small the person on the right is. I don't know if that could have been fixed, though. It just looks like they're going to drown in the melted popsicle.

If I were to use this work to influence my own, I would use a brighter color of a popsicle and again raise the contrast of the image so the shadows are slightly sharper. I would also try to include another miniature figure in there, too. Also, I would like to keep the same kind of message that flows through that image in what I would make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Something helpful - add more info or ask me a question.
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.